New Year in Japan, also known as “oshogatsu,” is a time for many firsts. This includes the first trip to the shrine and the lesser-known first tea ceremony of the year. The occasion is all about moving forward and marking the start of a new year. One of the popular firsts is “hatsuhinode,” which involves taking in the first sunrise of the year. The best place to enjoy this is along the ocean or on a mountain, although anywhere will do. The main point is to reflect on what a great year lies ahead and to mark the occasion. If you’re in Nagoya on New Year’s morning, here are a few local places where you can conveniently participate in the custom of Hatsuhinode.
2024 Aichi Sunrise Time: Likely around 7:00 AM
2024 Gifu Sunrise Time: Around 6:58 AM
If you’re looking for a spectacular view of Nagoya, the Tokai Area Sky Promenade is the perfect spot. Located at Midland Square, where the outdoor observation deck is about 220m high and offers a 360-degree view of the city. The circular walkway allows you to enjoy different sceneries during the day and at night, with a magnificent view during the day and a fantastic night view.
If you want to witness the first sunrise of the year from the highest observatory in the Tokai region, you can attend a special event that takes place at the Midland Square Sky Promenade. The event is limited to 800 visitors, and only advance tickets are sold. The price of the ticket is 2,200 yen (tax included) for special businesses. The event’s doors open at 6:00 AM on January 1st, 2024, and the last entry is at 8:00 AM. Please note that the event will end as soon as tickets are sold out
The event will be held at Office Building 44-46F (Entrance is 42F) Sky Promenade. If you want to attend, you can purchase advance tickets at the official Sky Promenade website or the Sky Promenade ticket vending machine. Please note that same-day tickets won’t be sold. The admission ticket can be used until February 2, 2024, Thursday, if it’s not used for special business on New Year’s Day.
Event Page www.midland-square.com/topics/et1490.html
- 4 Chome-7-1 Meieki, Nakamura Ward, Nagoya, Aichi 450-0002 (Map)
- Access: A short walk from Nagoya Station
- URL: www.midland-square.jp
Chubu Electric Power MIRAI TOWER
Standing tall in the heart of Nagoya, the Nagoya TV Tower, now known as an iconic landmark, offers a mesmerizing view of the first sunrise from its observation decks. The tower boasts two main observation decks, the indoor Sky Deck at 90 meters and the outdoor Sky Balcony at 100 meters, both providing awe-inspiring panoramic views of Nagoya’s urban landscape. From the top, visitors can marvel at the city’s bustling streets, towering buildings, and scenic surroundings. Its central location in Nagoya makes it a must-visit attraction for tourists and locals alike.
- Location: 3 Chome-6-１５先 Nishiki, Naka Ward, Nagoya, Aichi 460-0003 (map)
- Access: A short walk from Sakae Station on the Meijo Line or Higashiyama Line.
- URL: MIRAI TOWER Official Website
Kira Waikiki Beach
Miyazaki Beach and Ebisu Beach are collectively referred to as Kira Waikiki Beach. This destination is renowned for its stunning natural scenery and high-quality water, making it one of the 88 Best Swimming Beaches in Japan. The tropical atmosphere is enhanced by palm trees and white sand, providing a serene and picturesque environment for beachgoers. Come New Year, you can watch the first sunrise from Ebisu Beach and celebrate the first sunrise of the year.
- Location: Higashijinsaku-3 Kiracho Miyazaki, Nishio, Aichi 444-0513 (map)
- Access: Accessible from Mikawa-Toba Station on the Meitetsu Gamagori Line, and by car from the Isewan Expressway “Toyomei IC”.
- URL: https://nishiokanko.com/
As the dawn of the new year approaches, Suitopia Gangnam invites you to witness the breathtaking first sunrise of the year from its magnificent observation tower and multifunctional facilities. Join us for a special event that promises to be a memorable experience.
- Location: 200 Kusaicho, Konan, Aichi 483-8007 (map)
- Access: Approximately 20 minutes by bus from Konan Station on the Nagoya Railway (Meitetsu), or about 30 minutes by car from Komaki Interchange on the Meishin Expressway.
- URL: Suitopia Gangnam Official Guide
Kiso Sansen Park 138 Tower Park
Nestled at the confluence of three rivers, the park is a serene oasis that offers a feast for the senses. The Twin Arch 138, a towering observation tower, stands tall and proud, providing a stunning 360-degree view of the surrounding landscape, making it an ideal spot for watching the sunrise. The park’s natural beauty is complemented by its architectural marvels, creating a perfect blend of man-made and natural wonders. It’s no wonder that families flock to this popular destination to bask in its beauty and tranquility.
- Location: 21-3, Aza Urazaki, Oaza Komyoji, Ichinomiya City, Aichi Pref.
- Access: Accessible via public transportation from Ichinomiya Station, followed by a bus or taxi.
- URL: Kiso Sansen Park 138 Tower Park Official Website
Gifu Castle, also known as Gifu-jō in Japanese, is a historic mountain castle located on Mount Kinkazan in the northern part of Gifu City, Japan. The castle, at about 329 meters above sea level, has played a significant role in Japan’s history. It is positioned to the northeast of central Gifu, facing the Nagara River, and historically benefited from the strategic protection of two large rivers. Before a severe flood in 1586, the Kiso River ran closer to the castle, enhancing its defense capabilities.
The first fortification on Mount Kinkazan was built in 1201 by Nikaidō Yukimasa, a steward. It is also closely linked to notable personalities like Saito Michizo and Oda Nobunaga, adding to its allure. The castle’s vantage point offers a sweeping and awe-inspiring panoramic view of the surrounding area, making it an ideal spot for witnessing the sunrise. On New Year’s Day, the castle opens its doors at a special time of 6:30 AM, and visitors are treated to gift giveaways, adding to the excitement of the occasion.
- Location: 〒500-0000 Gifu Prefecture, Gifu City, Kinkazan Tenshukaku 18. (map)
- Access: Easily accessible by Gifu bus from JR Gifu Station or Meitetsu Gifu Station, followed by a short walk.
- URL: https://www.city.gifu.lg.jp/3537.htm